Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Post-college reflection

Things I don't miss about college:
  • Girls pretending to be drunk to get guys' attention (this still happens after college, just not as often as it does at frat parties)
  • Giant lecture halls
  • The majority of my courses that were taught by TA's instead of professors
  • The crazy old dude on the Oval who yells out why the Dalai Lama and Mother Teresa are going to hell and tries to use the Bible to justify these claims
  • Cramming/pulling all-nighters for finals 
  • GEC courses
  • Walking 6+ blocks to class in torrential rain, ice, and/or snow
  • The dorms
  • Not being taken seriously because I'm in college... One time the transformer blew outside my apartment at 11 PM and I called AEP.  The woman proceeded to tell me that I should call my landlord and hung up on me.
  • Careless landlords (off-campus housing)
  • People asking me what my major was and what I was planning on doing with it
  • Peer pressure
  • Anxiety about what I'm doing after I graduate
  • Dudes on bikes who practically ran me over
  • Being broke
  • Futons
Things I do miss about college:
  • The "fresh start"
  • Having an excuse for being broke
  • The few classes I had taught by professors
  • My first apartment (it was the first time I really felt like I was an adult)
  • The illusion that after college I would immediately go to grad school or get a really great-paying job
  • Tanning on the Oval after morning classes
  • Walking to class while listening to music during Spring quarter
  • People watching on campus... such as the Shakespearian Club and the guy dressed in the green man suit 
  • Free food
  • Dirty Dungarees (laundromat + bar = success)
  • Insomnia Cookies & Catfish Biff's pizza (although I'm glad I don't live close enough to them to indulge)
  • Not having 100% responsibility because my parents thought I was still somewhat of a kid
  • Halloween
  • Student loan disbursements to my bank account every 3 months (cha-ching)
  • Getting Panera and watching Cruel Intentions on Sundays
  • Free time
  • Seeing friends more than once a week or once a month

No comments:

Post a Comment